Tauroursodeoxycholic acid, otherwise known as TUDCA, has been used for over 3,000 years in China for promoting eye health. TUDCA is a water-soluble bile salt that was once derived from bear bile. Now, a chemical version, TUDCA Supplement is formulated in labs. Water-soluble bile acids play an important role in the body by having a deterrent effect. Other bile acids can build up in the liver, eventually damaging cells. The water-soluble bile salts come in and prevent this damage. Bile salts are also critical for the proper digestion and absorption of nutrients.
What are the Benefits of TUDCA?
Even though most of the research for TUDCA has been done on specific organs, TUDCA helps alleviate endoplasmic rectilium (ER) stress in any cell; this type of stress often leads to cell death. TUDCA’s ER stress reduction protects the heart, pancreas, kidneys, and liver. The specific uses and benefits gained from TUDCA are a result of the reduced ER stress and are as follows:
- Liver Health. TUDCA was shown to reduce the effects of apoptosis on the liver, function as a treatment of cirrhosis and promote the overall production of bile acid in the liver.
- Hearth health. In a study performed on animals that had suffered heart attacks, TUDCA was used to avoid apoptosis (cell death).
- Improved Insulin sensitivity. TUDCA improved the insulin sensitivity by 30% of the liver and muscle in an obese population.
- Promotes fat burning. TUDCA was shown to increase conversion of T3 thyroid hormones to T4, which can boost your metabolism and shift your body’s primary fuel source from glucose to fat oxidation.
- Antibacterial properties. TUDCA prevents cytotoxic effects of bacteria that can deteriorate lung and joint health.
- Neuroprotection for brain health. The effects of TUDA on neurons in the brain have been the subject of multiple studies. In one animal study, TUDCA was used to reduce the degeneration of neurons in the brain . It was shown to reduce synaptic toxicity associated with memory loss due to age in a different study. 
- Reduction of cholesterol. 24 subjects were given TUDCA over a six month period. At the end of the study, there was a reduction in cholesterol in the highest dosage group. 
- Promotes eye health. TUDCA was studied for possible use in retinitis pigmentosa, a degenerative visual problem. 
TUDCA Supplement Dosage
The exact dosage of TUDCA Supplement to meet your benefits can vary since TUDCA Supplement has so many uses. The liver protective benefits can be had for as little as 500mg/day, which the extrapolated numbers from an animal study show a 4,000mg dosage for neuroprotection from age-related memory loss and 1,750mg for muscular and liver insulin sensitivity. A calculated dose of 15-20mg/kg of bodyweight has also been used to improve overall bile salt composition in the body.  You can find more information on TUDCA Supplement at Powder City.